Brown Bread-Cream Cheese Sandwiches
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breads and Rolls
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup cornmeal
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 1/3 Cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup raisins
- 2 packages (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Combine flours, cornmeal, buttermilk, molasses, soda,and salt; beat at low speed of an electric mixer 30 seconds.
- Beat at medium speed until blended. Stir in raisins. Pour half of the batter into a greased 2-cup glass measure.
- Cover with waxed paper, and microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) for 3 minutes; rotate.
- Continue to microwave at MEDIUM for 2-4 minutes or until edge is no longer doughy.
- Let stand two minutes; unmold. Cool. Repeat procedure with remaining batter.
- Cut loaves into 1/4-inch slices. Spread half of bread slices with cream cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, matching sizes. (Sandwiches will vary in size).
Yield: 10 sandwiches