Brown and Bag Seasoned Ground Beef
Author: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Recipe type: Beef
Serves: 11 cups
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 3 large onions; (for 3 Cups chopped)
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat oil on medium heat in an extra-deep 12-inch nonstick skillet. Peel and coarsely chop the onions, adding them to the skillet as you chop. Seed and coarsely chop the peppers, adding them to the skillet as you chop. Add garlic; raise heat to high.
- Crumble beef into skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until no longer pink, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in Worcestershire. Drain into a colander.
- Let cool slightly, then divide into 3 portions, each about 3 1/2 cups.
- Store in freezer-weight, zipper-top plastic bags; freeze until ready to use.
- Yields about 11 cups.
If you don't have an extra-deep skillet, use a 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven or soup pot; browning will take slightly longer because of the smaller cooking surface.