Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Almond Couscous is a wonderful side dish or vegetarian main course, offering glorious flavors and textures.
Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Almond Couscous
Author: Beverly Lynn Bennett
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 1 1/2 Quarts
- 1 Cup diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Cups broccoli; half small florets and half chopped stems (divided)
- 1 1/2 Cups diced seeded red pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Cups water (or vegetable stock)
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups couscous
- 3/4 Cup almonds (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 Cup freshly-chopped dill
- 1/4 Cup freshly-chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in the olive oil for 3 minutes to soften. Add the broccoli stems and continue to sauté the mixture an additional 3 minutes. Add the broccoli florets, red pepper, and garlic, and continue to sauté an additional 4 minutes while stirring often.
- Add the water, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the couscous, stir, cover, remove the saucepan from the heat, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff the couscous while stirring in the remaining ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, to taste.
- Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature as a side dish, vegetarian main course or salad.
This recipe contains nuts. They may be omitted.
Calories: 1807 Fat: 71g Sodium: 2190mg Fiber: 28g Protein: 57g Cholesterol: 0mg