Quintessentially summer, Broccoli Pasta Salad brings a comfortable warmth to your seasonal plate. Subtle flavors and seasonal vegetables combine for a great dish.
Broccoli Pasta Salad
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Salads
Serves: 4 to 6
- 16 ounce bag whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 Cup grated carrot ( about 4 medium carrots)
- 1/2 Cup raisins
- 1/4 Cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 Cup light mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- salt, to taste
- Start by cooking pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, chop broccoli into small florets and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegars, and salt.
- Set dressing aside once combined.
- Carefully grate carrots and try not to cut your wrist on the grater. Ouch!
- Once pasta is finished cooking, use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove cooked pasta and transfer to a colander in the sink. Very important – DO NOT drain the pasta water!
- Once the pasta water has come back to a boil, drop the broccoli florets into the water to blanch quickly for just 1-2 minutes. You don’t want to over-cook the broccoli, just heat enough to soften the slightest bit.
- Remove broccoli with slotted spoon and add to a colander, rinse with cold water, then drain and place on top of pasta.
- Transfer pasta and broccoli to a large mixing bowl and top with carrots, raisins, and almonds.
- Add dressing and toss to combine. Season generously with salt.
- Serve as a main course or a side dish. Best enjoyed warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!