Nothing could be finer than to enjoy one of these in the morning. The seductive flavors and rich textures combine to create a glorious breakfast full of protein. Simply wonderful. They make a great lunch, too.
- 1/4 container regular tofu (14-ounce package); drained
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced green onion; plus more
- 1/3 packages minced smoked salmon (3-ounce package)
- 4 eggs; beaten (or 1 Cup nonfat egg substitute)
- 1 whole-grain bagel; halved, toasted
- 1/4 Cup low-fat sour cream
- tomato wedges; for garnish
- Cut tofu into 1/2-inch slices and drain on paper towels, patting dry, then cut into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Heat butter and oil in small skillet over medium heat until butter is melted and skillet hot. Saute tofu until lightly browned, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons green onion and salmon and saute over medium-low heat 1 minute. Stir in eggs. Cook until outer edges of eggs are set, then slowly stir as for scrambled eggs.
- Divide eggs between 2 bagel halves. Spoon dollops of sour cream atop eggs and garnish with green onion. Serve with tomato wedges.
Each serving: 328 calories; 596 mg sodium; 443 mg cholesterol; 22 grams fat; 29 grams carbohydrates; 30 grams protein; 1.12 grams fiber.