Wunderbar! A fantastic dish that pairs gloriously with a variety of sides like Boston Baked Beans. The forerunner of the American frankfurter, this is a must-try with a fine American craft or old German beer.
- 8 fresh bratwurst
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 Cup dark beer (double bock or a similarly sweet beer)
- Place bratwurst in center of cooking grate. Grill 18 to 25 minutes until no longer pink in the center, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat flour and oil over low heat, stirring frequently, until light brown. Add marjoram and caraway seeds. Gradually whisk in dark beer. Bring sauce to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Place bratwurst in sauce to coat. Serve with remaining sauce.
Beer Recommendation: Try a classic German Märzen beer or a full-bodied American craft beer with intense caramel flavors.
Comments: The definitive recipe for this grilled classic. Serve with brown bread, Boston Baked Beans, sauerkraut, and sweet mustard.
Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.