For a delicious side dish, try Braised Red Cabbage with Apples with its amazing flavor and jewel-like colors. Pairs well with chicken, turkey, duck or goose.
Braised Red Cabbage with Apples
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 Cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 2 pounds red cabbage head; cored, shredded
- 1 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 apple; seeded, quartered
- 1 thick bacon slice; cut in thirds
- Heat oil and butter in 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in shredded cabbage, water, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds and salt.
- Bury apple quarters and bacon pieces in cabbage.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until very tender, about 2 hours.
- Check cabbage periodically during simmering and stir. If cabbage looks dry, add a bit more water. Adjust seasoning.
- If making ahead, cool thoroughly, then refrigerate overnight.
- Reheat over low heat before serving.
- Serve with duck, chicken or turkey, or one of the other flavored poultry sausages on the market.
Serving size: each of 8 Calories: 82 Fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 17g Sodium: 480mg Fiber: 1.37g Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 2mg