Lamb is such a great meat that is greatly underestimated by beef-loving American cooks. Its rich flavor is perfectly paired with garlic, mashed potatoes and root vegetables.
- 1 lamb shoulder, 4 to 5 pounds, boneless
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 Tablespoons fresh savory herbs (rosemary, thyme, bay leaf)
- 1 pound merguez (or other lamb sausage)
- vegetable or canola oil, as needed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 6 to 8 sprigs fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 orange, zest removed and reserved
- 2 Cups red wine
- 3 Cups lamb or veal stock
- Garlicky Mashed potatoes
- Caramelized root vegetables
- Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- Mince 4 cloves garlic; rub lamb with garlic and sprinkle with herbs.
- Place sausage or fruit filling in center of meat. Roll into roulade and tie.
- Heat large braising pan; add light coat of oil. Sear meat on all sides; set aside. Discard most of fat.
- Add carrot, celery, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme and remaining cloves garlic, coarsely chopped. Cook until lightly colored.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook several minutes. Add orange juice, zest and wine; reduce liquid by half. Return lamb to pan. Add enough stock to reach 3/4 of the way up lamb. Cover and simmer, turning and basting lamb often, until lamb is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove lamb; keep warm. Reduce remaining liquid by third, until sauce coats a spoon. Remove sauce from heat, adjust seasoning, strain and keep hot.
- To serve, remove string and allow meat to rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with Garlicky mashed potatoes and Caramelized root vegetables.
- Slice meat into thin slices and fan out over bean ragoût.
- Drizzle sauce and garnish with rosemary sprig.
Witches Hair and Sea Creatures is an incredible Italian dish ideal for Halloween Night's dinner. It ...
Penn-Dutch Pot Roast is simple to prepare and yields an intense, delicious flavor best served with c...
Grilled Chicken Paillard with Baby Greens and Basil Oil is an incredibly healthful recipe ideal for ...
A beautiful, delicious and healthful sandwich, rich in vitamins and nutrients, yet intensely flavorf...