Lamb is such a great meat that is greatly underestimated by beef-loving American cooks. Its rich flavor is perfectly paired with garlic, mashed potatoes and root vegetables.
- 1 lamb shoulder, 4 to 5 pounds, boneless
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 Tablespoons fresh savory herbs (rosemary, thyme, bay leaf)
- 1 pound merguez (or other lamb sausage)
- vegetable or canola oil, as needed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 6 to 8 sprigs fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 orange, zest removed and reserved
- 2 Cups red wine
- 3 Cups lamb or veal stock
- Garlicky Mashed potatoes
- Caramelized root vegetables
- Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- Mince 4 cloves garlic; rub lamb with garlic and sprinkle with herbs.
- Place sausage or fruit filling in center of meat. Roll into roulade and tie.
- Heat large braising pan; add light coat of oil. Sear meat on all sides; set aside. Discard most of fat.
- Add carrot, celery, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme and remaining cloves garlic, coarsely chopped. Cook until lightly colored.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook several minutes. Add orange juice, zest and wine; reduce liquid by half. Return lamb to pan. Add enough stock to reach 3/4 of the way up lamb. Cover and simmer, turning and basting lamb often, until lamb is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove lamb; keep warm. Reduce remaining liquid by third, until sauce coats a spoon. Remove sauce from heat, adjust seasoning, strain and keep hot.
- To serve, remove string and allow meat to rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with Garlicky mashed potatoes and Caramelized root vegetables.
- Slice meat into thin slices and fan out over bean ragoût.
- Drizzle sauce and garnish with rosemary sprig.
Grilled Lamb Chops with Currant Herb Sauce offers a dynamic and complex combination of flavors, givi...
Seriously economical, and perfectly flavorful, Steak and Guinness Pie brings richness to your table ...
A premiere dessert that's quite easy to make. White-Chocolate Brownies with Ice Cream serves up a sw...
Always a treat, the more you decorate your Halloween Pumpkin-Shaped Cake, the greater the praise fro...