An exceptionally wonderful dessert, Bougatsa is a Greek classic is little known in the United States, but should be a favorite for its light, crunchy and flaky crust and sweet, creamy filling. Simply wonderful eating.
- 1/2 pound cream cheese
- 1 pound fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 pound fresh large-curd cottage cheese
- granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 18 sheets commercial filo
- 1/2 Cup sweet butter (or more); melted
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese at high speed until light and fluffy. Lower the speed and add the ricotta, cottage cheese, 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar, and the nutmeg. Beat for 1 minute at high speed, then set aside while you prepare the filo.
- Lay the filo flat on a table and keep covered with a damp towel over waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- By stacking 4 sheets, form a base of 15 x 18 inches, brushing the top of each sheet with melted butter as you stack them. Then lay 2 sheets at right angles over the center, using the "base" as a diamond, not a square, brushing the center of each with butter.
- Divide the filling into 3 parts and spread one part over the filo to form a 7-inch square. Set the rest of the filling aside.
- Fold the top filo sheet over the cheese and brush with butter, and continue folding the filo over the cheese to make a square, brushing each time with butter. With a wide spatula, lift the Bougatsa and invert onto a cookie sheet. Brush the top with butter and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining filo, filling until all 3 square pies are folded.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the filo puffs up and turns a golden chestnut color. Cut into small squares and sprinkle with additional sugar. Serve piping hot.
A classic of American cooking, Sweet Potato Pie is a sultry, delicious confection of simple construc...
An interesting side dish, Okra Braised with Tomatoes has roots in French and African cuisine, with s...
Rich in flavors and delightful textures, Caponata is a tradition in Jewish kitchens, but since the e...
White Truffle Aioli is an exceptionally flavorful dip or spread ideal for serving with vegetables or...