Botsford Inn’s Honey Baked Ham with Cumberland Sauce is the quintessential recipe for New Year’s Day, or any celebration, or family feast. It is a traditional dish for Twelfth Night. A tasty mixture of oranges, lemons, redcurrants and port, Cumberland Sauce is best served cold as a delicious accompaniment to this glorious honey glazed ham.
- 1 whole or half ham
- 2 Cups pineapple juice
- 1 Cup honey
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Quart hot water
- 1 Cup currants
- thinly peeled rind of 1 orange
- thinly peeled rind of 1 lemon
- 1/3 Cup cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 juice of 1 orange
- 1 juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 Cup red currant jelly
- 1/4 Cup port wine
- black cherries, if desired
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place ham in large roasting pan and pour pineapple juice and honey over top. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce: In large saucepan, pour hot water over currants and let stand until plumped, about 20 minutes.
- Cut orange and lemon rinds into very fine julienne about 3/4 inch long; poach in simmering water 20 minutes. Drain, discarding water, and set aside.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into currants and water; cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until sauce has thickened and become transparent. Add brown sugar, orange and lemon juice, jelly and wine; stir until jelly is melted, and add prepared orange and lemon rinds and black cherries.
- The sauce may be removed from the heat and set aside, covered with clingfilm directly on the surface to prevent a skin from developing. Before service, remove plastic clingfilm, and reheat over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve the sauce very warm, but not boiling hot.
- Serve warm over ham slices. Makes about five Cups of sauce.
A simple dish that is easy to prepare and exceptionally flavorful. Good, old-fashioned cooking, thi...
Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes are a superb accompaniment for roast turkey, beef or pork. Perfect as a...
The flavor and texture of Caramel Brittle make it a wonderful confection. Sweet, crunchy and unique...
Flan is a classic of Mexican cuisine, and a perfect blending of both indigenous ingredients and cook...