Botsford Inn’s Honey Baked Ham with Cumberland Sauce is the quintessential recipe for New Year’s Day, or any celebration, or family feast. It is a traditional dish for Twelfth Night. A tasty mixture of oranges, lemons, redcurrants and port, Cumberland Sauce is best served cold as a delicious accompaniment to this glorious honey glazed ham.
- 1 whole or half ham
- 2 Cups pineapple juice
- 1 Cup honey
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Quart hot water
- 1 Cup currants
- thinly peeled rind of 1 orange
- thinly peeled rind of 1 lemon
- 1/3 Cup cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 juice of 1 orange
- 1 juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 Cup red currant jelly
- 1/4 Cup port wine
- black cherries, if desired
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place ham in large roasting pan and pour pineapple juice and honey over top. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce: In large saucepan, pour hot water over currants and let stand until plumped, about 20 minutes.
- Cut orange and lemon rinds into very fine julienne about 3/4 inch long; poach in simmering water 20 minutes. Drain, discarding water, and set aside.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into currants and water; cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until sauce has thickened and become transparent. Add brown sugar, orange and lemon juice, jelly and wine; stir until jelly is melted, and add prepared orange and lemon rinds and black cherries.
- The sauce may be removed from the heat and set aside, covered with clingfilm directly on the surface to prevent a skin from developing. Before service, remove plastic clingfilm, and reheat over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve the sauce very warm, but not boiling hot.
- Serve warm over ham slices. Makes about five Cups of sauce.
A sweet, rich and easily made dessert full of historic traditions and glorious flavor. Hot Apple Pan...
Buffalo Burgers are exceptionally flavorful and far more nutritious than beef. Perfect with sliced o...
This Naked Civil Servant dessert is named in tribute for a British eccentric. A classic rhubarb cris...
The unique flavor of Irish Soda Scones makes them ideal to serve with rich creamery butter, jam and ...