A most surprising and alluring Asian side dish, Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms is a treasure is ideally paired with beef, seafood, or fowl.
Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Salads
- 2 Cups vegetarian chicken-flavored broth
- 5 to 6 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon (plus) freshly minced garlic
- 1 inch square freshly minced ginger
- 4 Cups chopped bok choy or 6 to 7 baby bok choy
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 Cup cool water
- 1 Cup boiling water
- 1 Cup shredded or sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 Tablespoon light soy sauce, or to taste
- Pour one Cup boiling water over shiitake mushrooms and allow them to sit, covered for 30 minutes.
- When they are ready add the cornstarch to 1/4 Cup of cool water and set aside. Slice the mushrooms into bite sized pieces, removing the stems, and pour the soaking liquid into a skillet. Add garlic and ginger. Simmer for a few minutes and then add the mushrooms, the bamboo shoots, the broth and the soy sauce. Simmer for at least 5 minutes.
- Steam the boy choy separately (2 to 3 minutes, checking and tossing often). whole baby bok choy may take a little longer.
- Add the bok choy to the mixture. Stir in the cornstarch till it's as thick as you like it. Serve over rice.