Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic of French gastronomy, and the quintessence of comfort food, cooked slowly to enhance its luscious flavors.
To make this an even richer and tastier dish, add a splash of aged balsamic vinegar.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 pound stewing beef
- 7 ounces lightly smoked bacon pieces
- 1/2 pound Cremini mushrooms, halved if large
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cup whole shallots, peeled and trimmed
- large sprig thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 Cups good Merlot
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 285 degress F/140 degrees C.
- Add the shallots, chop the onion and add all the ingredients, other than the wine and the flour, to a casserole pan. Sprinkle over the flour and toss together with your hands, until everything is lightly coated.
- Pour in the wine and stir.
- Put on a close-fitting lid and place in the middle shelf of the oven for 3 hours.
Boeuf Bourguignon is a glorious French beef stew. Serve it along with lightly buttered noodles.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 455 Fat: 22 g Saturated fat: 12.3 g Sugar: 5.6 g Sodium: 1.7 g