Blueberry Pancake Syrup is a particularly delicious accompaniment to pancakes or waffles. Out of season, use frozen blueberries which work just as well for this recipe.
Blueberry Pancake Syrup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 2 Quarts
- 4 Cups blueberries, cleaned, rinsed
- 3 Cups water
- 2 strips lemon peel
- 3 Cups sugar
- lemon juice to taste
- Pour berries in pan and mash with potato masher until most all skins are broken.
- Add 1 cup of the water and strips of lemon peel and bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat to low and cook berries for 5 min. at just under a simmer.
- Pour hot berries into strainer lined with 2 layers of cheese-cloth (or something similar) and let juice drip through. Twist cloth to extract all the juice; there should be about 2 cups. Discard pulp.
- Combine remaining 2 cups water with sugar in small saucepan and bring mixture to a boil, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is clear. Wash down sides of pan with wet pastry brush, then boil syrup, without stirring, until it reaches 260 F. on candy thermometer.
- Add blueberry syrup to sugar syrup and bring mixture to boil for 1 min.
- Let cool, then add lemon juice to taste. Pour into 2 pint jars. Will keep in 'fridge for 2 mos.
- For longer storage, can syrup following usual methods.
- Process for 30 min. in water just under boiling. Cool jars on rack.