Simple, delicious and perfect for breakfast or brunch. Seriously good eating and always a pleasure.
Blueberry French Toast Sandwiches
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 Cups blueberries; frozen
- 3/4 Cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange peel; grated
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 3 eggs; beaten
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 slices bread
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- sugar, powdered
- Combine blueberries, maple syrup and orange peel in a small saucepan. Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to blueberry mixture. Cook and stir until mixture boils; reduce heat and simmer 1 minute or until mixture thickens.
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg; mix well. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture. Cook each slice in small amount of butter in skillet or on griddle about 2 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
- Place one slice on each individual plate, spread with 3 tablespoons blueberry mixture, top with second slice and 1 tablespoon blueberry mixture. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
In season, use fresh, not frozen blueberries.