There’s something so incredibly wonderful about a Blueberry Crisp. The flavor, texture and comfort afforded are exceptional. Amazing.
When preparing fresh blueberries, it's important to wash them carefully, and remove any crushed berries, mushy ones or stems. The stems can become very hard in cooking.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8 to 10
- 3 Cups fresh or unsweetened frozen blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- 2/3 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 Cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1/3 Cup butter softened
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 Cup of nuts or coconut
- Remove stems, rinse and drain berries.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease the baking dish with butter - this recipe will work in a pie pan or an 8- x 8-inch square pan or any pan that is similar in size (if you double the recipe use a 9- x 13-inch baking pan).
- Pour berries into a bowl and mix with1 tablespoon of flour and 1 tablespoon of sugar to coat.
- Add flour and sugar coated berries to greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over the berries.
- Mix together the brown sugar, 1/2 cup of flour, oats, cinnamon and salt. Use a fork or pastry blender to blend in the butter. Don't mix too finely - leave it somewhat coarse and crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping over the berries and bake about 30 minutes or until the topping is light brown and the berry juice is bubbling on the edges.
- Let stand for about 20 minutes before serving. If desired top with ice cream or whipped cream. It can also be served cold. Refrigerate any leftovers (yeah, sure).