Blitzkuchen mit Apfeln (Apple Cake)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 6 apples; medium, tart
- 2 lemons; medium, juiced
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks; large, divided *
- 1/2 lemon; juiced and peel grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 Cups flour; unbleached
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon rum
- 2 egg whites; large
- 1 Tablespoon butter; to grease cake pan
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Peel apples, cut in half and core.
- Cut decorative lengthwise slits in apples, about 1/2-inch deep. Sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together. One at a time, beat in egg yolks. Gradually beat in lemon juice and grated peel.
- Sift baking powder and flour together. Gradually add to batter.
- Blend in milk and rum.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter.
- Generously grease a springform pan. Pour in batter and top with apple halves. Brush apples with oil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from pan and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
* Do not put the egg yolks together as they will be used individually.