Blancmange is a very flexible dessert, capable of being adapted to a wide variety of flavorings from apple to vanilla. Be creative and enjoy with a superb dessert sauce. Serve plain Blancmange with cooked or fresh fruit for a great dessert.
- 4 level Tablespoons (60 ml) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 568 ml (1 pint) milk
- strip of lemon rind
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) sugar (more, to taste, if desired)
- Blend the cornflour to a smooth paste with 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of the milk.
- Boil the remaining milk with the lemon rind and strain it in to the blended mixture, stirring well.
- Return the mixture to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add sugar to taste.
- Pour into a 600 ml (1 pint) dampened jelly mould and leave for several hours until set. Turn out to serve with fresh fruit.