Black Friday Pot Pie is an easy to make dish well suited to using up Thanksgiving leftover turkey, cooked simply, quickly and easily, leaving time for shopping.
Black Friday Pot Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons butter, salted
- 2 Cups chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon butter, salted
- 3 mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Cup frozen corn niblets
- 1 Cup frozen peas
- 1 Cup frozen carrots, cubed or sliced
- fresh thyme
- frozen puff pastry
- 1 large egg
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- leftover turkey
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Make the Sauce
- In a saucepan, cook the flour until golden in color, but not browned. Add butter and whisk very well. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, whisking well till thoroughly blended and free of lumps. Set aside and keep warm.
Prepare the vegetables
- In a skillet, melt the butter, and cook the mushroom and onion, till the onion is translucent -- about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, stirring constantly for 1 minute and add frozen vegetables.The vegetables will release water. Cook till liquid is reduced by half. Add the thyme. Remove from heat and add to the sauce.
- Chop leftover turkey, including some of the skin, if desired, both white and dark meat, into small chunks, no more than 1/2-inch wide. Add it to the sauce with the vegetables. Return the sauce mixture to the heat, add salt and pepper and bring to simmer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Invert individual ramekins onto frozen puff pastry sheets. Cut the pastry to fit the shape of the ramekins. Remove the ramekins and set aside. Remove surplus puff pastry and return to the freezer for other uses.
- Break an egg into a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and cold water. Beat it till mixed with a fork.
- Portion sauce mixture into individual ramekins. Cover each ramekin with a piece of puff pastry. Brush the puff pastry with egg mixture. Make 4 incisions in each piece to vent.
- Bake ramekins on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes, or until puff pastry is golden brown and puffed.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with leftover stuffing, cranberry sauce or any remaining sides you have.