A classic Bavarian cake from the Black Forest where sour cherries grow wild, this delicious treat is prepared today in bakeries around the world. Much better homemade though.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted *
- 1 Cup flour, sifted
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup water
- 2 Tablespoons Kirsch
- 1 1/2 Cups confectioners' sugar / icing sugar
- 1/3 Cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tablespoons Kirsch
- 2 Cups canned sour cherries, drained
- 2 Tablespoons confectioners' icing sugar
- 1 Cup heavy cream, whipped
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- * There should be 4 squares of chocolate and it should be melted.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla together until thick and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Alternately fold chocolate and flour into the egg mixture, ending with flour. Pour the batter into 3 8-inch cake pans that have been well greased and floured.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 5 minutes; turn out on racks to cool completely. When cooled cut the cakes to be of even height and flat.
- ]Make syrup by mixing together sugar and water and boiling for 5 minutes. When syrup has cooled, stir in kirsch. Prick the cake layers and pour syrup over all 3 layers.
- To make the butter-cream filling, beat together sugar and butter until well blended. Add egg yolk; beat until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Fold in Kirsch.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer on a cake plate. Spread with butter cream filling. Using 3/4 Cup of the cherries, which have been patted dry, drop cherries evenly over cream. Place second layer on cake. Repeat. Place third layer on top.
- Fold 2 Tablespoons Confectioners' sugar into the whipped cream. Cover the sides and top of the cake with whipped cream. Decorate top of cake with remaining 1/2 Cup cherries.
- To make chocolate curls from chocolate bar, shave (at room temperature) with a vegetable peeler. Refrigerate curls until ready to use. Press chocolate curls on sides of cake and sprinkle a few on the top.
- Chill until serving time.
Always a treasured treat for breakfast, this simple recipe for pancakes is a tradition going back hu...
Hashed Brown Potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to many a breakfast dish, particularly eggs, but...
Apple-Pecan Cobbler makes a spectacular dessert, topped with ice cream and bit of caramel sauce, it ...
A relaxing, comforting dip perfect for holiday celebrations. Easy to prepare with no cooking our Art...