A classic Bavarian cake from the Black Forest where sour cherries grow wild, this delicious treat is prepared today in bakeries around the world. Much better homemade though.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted *
- 1 Cup flour, sifted
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup water
- 2 Tablespoons Kirsch
- 1 1/2 Cups confectioners' sugar / icing sugar
- 1/3 Cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tablespoons Kirsch
- 2 Cups canned sour cherries, drained
- 2 Tablespoons confectioners' icing sugar
- 1 Cup heavy cream, whipped
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- * There should be 4 squares of chocolate and it should be melted.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla together until thick and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Alternately fold chocolate and flour into the egg mixture, ending with flour. Pour the batter into 3 8-inch cake pans that have been well greased and floured.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 5 minutes; turn out on racks to cool completely. When cooled cut the cakes to be of even height and flat.
- ]Make syrup by mixing together sugar and water and boiling for 5 minutes. When syrup has cooled, stir in kirsch. Prick the cake layers and pour syrup over all 3 layers.
- To make the butter-cream filling, beat together sugar and butter until well blended. Add egg yolk; beat until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Fold in Kirsch.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer on a cake plate. Spread with butter cream filling. Using 3/4 Cup of the cherries, which have been patted dry, drop cherries evenly over cream. Place second layer on cake. Repeat. Place third layer on top.
- Fold 2 Tablespoons Confectioners' sugar into the whipped cream. Cover the sides and top of the cake with whipped cream. Decorate top of cake with remaining 1/2 Cup cherries.
- To make chocolate curls from chocolate bar, shave (at room temperature) with a vegetable peeler. Refrigerate curls until ready to use. Press chocolate curls on sides of cake and sprinkle a few on the top.
- Chill until serving time.
Cooked bacon adds to the cheese and bread crumb topping in this flavorful Macaroni and Cheese with B...
Boston Cream Pie is really a delicious cake and perfectly delightful, generally simple, and adored b...
One of the best Thai soups, Chicken Soup with Lemon and Ginger is extraordinarily flavorful, aromati...
Herbed Salmon in Foil is a simple, delicious, flavorful way of preparing this tasty seafood with min...