Biff a la Lindstrom (Hamburgers a la Lindstrom)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons onions; finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef; lean
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon capers; drained and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1/4 Cup beets; fresh cooked/canned, drained
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 fried eggs (optional)
- In a small pan, melt the 1 tablespoon of butter. When the foam subsides, add the onions and cook for 2 or 3 minutes or until they are soft and transparent, but not brown. Scrape into a large bowl and add the meat, egg yolks, capers, salt, pepper and white vinegar.
- Mix together and moisten with the heavy cream. Then stir in the drained chopped beets. Shape the mixture into 12-14 round partties, about 2-3 inches in diameter. In a heavy large skillet, heat the butter and oil. When the foam subsides, add the patties 3 or 4 at a time and cook over moderately high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until they are a deep brown.
- In Sweden, these spicy hamburgers are frequently served with a fried egg set atop each, in which case they are made larger and thicker.