Beurre Manie is often a better, quicker solution than making a roux to thicken a sauce. It produces excellent results with minimal effort.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Savoury Butters
Serves: 2 Tablespoons
- 1 Tablespoon butter, lightly salted
- 1 Tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- To make Beurre Manie: work together 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon flour until well blended. Add to the sauce, and cook, stirring or whisking constantly, for at least 1 minute, or until sauce is thickened and any portion of the Beurre Manie has been incorporated into the sauce. Allow the sauce to cook a few more moments as the flour blends gently into the sauce, thickening and cooking out any flour taste.
- Beurre manie may be prepared in advance in larger quantity, and wrapped in wax paper or placed in a plastic box.
- It will keep at least two weeks in refrigerator.
We find that putting the butter into a small bowl and microwaving for 15 seconds (no more) softens the butter allowing you to blend the butter in much easier. The butter may be used immediately or chilled in the refrigerator. This creates a much smoother texture and reduces lumps in sauces.