The flavor is rich and jubilant in Best Bazaar Chicken Soup. Like a spice market in the Middle East, it simply delivers deliciousness in every spoonful.
Best Bazaar Chicken Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 10 Cups
- 1 chicken, 5 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 1 celery root (celeriac)
- 3 celery stalks with leaves
- 1 large onion, peeled, cut in eighths
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- In large stockpot or Dutch oven, bring chicken and 12 cups water to boil; skim off froth. Add salt and pepper; reduce heat and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, peel carrots, parsnips and celery root; cut into large chunks along with celery. Add to pot along with onion, parsley sprigs and garlic. simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken; refrigerate for another use. Strain liquid through cheesecloth-lined sieve, pressing down on vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible. Let cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or until fat has congealed on surface. Remove fat with slotted spoon. Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Add-Ins: Add shredded cooked chicken Add 4 cups cooked noodles, cooked rice, or matzo balls Reserve carrots and celery from stock; slice and add to soup.