Fresh or frozen berries are perfect in Berry Cobbler, a simple, easy to prepare dessert that everyone will enjoy. Add a scoop of premium ice cream or a dollop of Chantilly Cream for perfection.
- 1/2 Cup sugar (for sprinkling)
- 4 Cups berries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Cup sugar (for the batter)
- 1 Cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup butter (softened)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of sugar on the berries and place them in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt).
- Add the milk and softened butter and beat well. Spoon the batter over the berries. Sprinkle some nutmeg on top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
* The base of this turns out to be a bit thin and liquidy. If you strain the juice from the fruit, add a couple of tablespoons of flour to the juice, and then pour the juice over the fruit in the baking dish, the base will be semi-firm.
* You do not need to sprinkle the full 1/2 cup of sugar on the berries; with sweeter berries, much less will often suffice.
* If you would like a sweeter, candy-like batter, try adding more sugar to the batter. I wouldn't recommend putting more than about 1 1/4 cups of sugar into the batter, though, the crust of the batter will be very candy-like, but the centre of the batter will not properly bake if you do.
: Difficulty: easy.
: Time: 10 minutes preparation, 45 minutes baking.
: Precision: approximate measurement OK.