Use this delightful adaptation as an accompaniment to pork or chicken in summer, when berries are fresh and in season. Simply wonderful.
Author: Faye Levy
Recipe type: Accompaniments
- 1 package unsweetened or lightly sweetened frozen raspberries or strawberries (10 ounces); thawed
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar- (to 1/3 Cup); sifted
- 2 Cups plain applesauce
- Puree berries in food processor or blender. Add 1/2 Cup powdered sugar; process until very smooth. If using raspberries, strain puree into bowl, pressing on pulp in strainer. Use rubber spatula to scrape mixture from underside of strainer.
- Mix berry puree with applesauce. Taste; whisk in more powdered sugar if you like. Whisk to blend well. If sauce is too thick, whisk in a little water, 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Refrigerate in covered container at least 30 minutes. Stir before serving.
- Serve cold.
- Yields about 8 servings (2 1/2 cups).