Berries with Orange-Honey Yogurt
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Fruits
- 4 Cups fruit, see suggestions
- 1 fresh mint leaves or
- 1 thin strips orange rind or
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sliced / slivered almonds
- 1 Cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons liquid honey (caution diabetics)*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Suggested fruit: Winter: sliced oranges, bananas, kiwi, pineapple, cantaloupe or honeydew Spring: strawberries, stewed rhubarb
- Summer: raspberries, blackberries, blueberries Fall: peaches, plums, grapes
- Combinations: grapes and melon, melon and blueberries, blackberries and sliced peaches, raspberries and blueberries, strawberries and kiwi, bananas and kiwi or sliced oranges.
- *Diabetic caution: honey has more carbohydrates than sugar. Quantity of honey could likely be reduced. Recipes in this book tend to be sweeter than necessary for a person used to low-sugar recipes.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl. Wash berries and hull. Slice if fruit pieces are large.
- Either mix fruit with sauce, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, or at serving time spoon fruit into individual bowls or stemmed glasses and pour sauce over. Garnish each serving.
1/4 recipe = 126 calories, 2 fruit + 1/2 milk choice 3 grams fat, 4 mg cholesterol, 43 mg sodium, 5 grams protein, 24 grams carbohydrate, good fiber.