This North African spice mix is used in many delicious dishes. A superb combination of exotic flavors.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Spice Mixes and Rubs
Serves: 1 batch
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 3/4 teaspoons black cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 10 small dried red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small frying pan, on a low heat, toast cumin, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns, allspice, fenugreek and coriander for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Discard stems from chilies.
- In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, finely grind together the toasted spices and chilies.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Store in refrigerator in a well sealed jar.
From "Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant"