Beets are very much underrated in America, but are most delicious. Combined with onions and a delicious vinaigrette, as in this recipe, they make a wonderful salad or side dish.
- 2 pounds small beets; * see note
- 2 onions; sliced in thin rings
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 1/2 Cup red wine vinegar
- Place beets in a large saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until tender when pierced with a fork (about 25 minutes, depending upon size).
- Drain and cool. Peel and slice in rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange beets on a platter and top with onion rings.
- Sprinkle garlic over the top. Break bay leaves in half and tuck halves in among the beets. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk together oil and vinegar and pour over salad.
- Chill well before serving.
Yield: 6 servings as a side dish.
Sweet, delectable, light and aromatic are words that come close, but just short of an accurate descr...
Make this spice mix in early Autumn and keep it through Winter to enhance the flavor of all your del...
Lobster Salad on Brioche is a delicious, luxurious sandwich of impeccable flavor, textures and quali...
Red, White and Blue Cookies are an extraordinary treat and perfect for Independence Day! Blueberrie...