This Americanized version of a Chinese recipe creates a wonderful combination of beef with green beans. Perfectly suited to diabetic diets, it is full of flavor and very low in carbs.
- 8 ounces round of beef; with all visible fat removed
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 pound frozen green beans; cut into 1 inch length
- Cut beef into about 1/8" - 1/4" thick and about 1" long. (This is easier if the meat is slightly frozen.) Refrigerate until needed. Mix soy sauce, cornstarch, salt, and sherry well. Pour over the meat. Mix lightly and let set at room temperature for about 1/2 hour or refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Drain well, reserving the marinade.
- Spread oil over the bottom of a fry, stirring fredquently, until the meat occasionally, until both well coated with the sauce. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until both well coated with the sauce. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are crisp-tender.
- Serve about 3/4 cup per serving over rice or noodles.
Source: The New Diabetic Cookbook by Mabel Cavaiani, R.D.