Beef Wellington is named for the Duke, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. It is a perfect recipe for cooler weather, and for Christmas, New Year’s or Epiphany. The food of kings.
- 1 each 10-ounce package frozen puff pastry
- 4 pounds beef tenderloin roast (may substitute beef sirloin tip roast)
- all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces can goose or duck liver pate
- 1 Tablespoon Cognac
- 2 teaspoons chives, snipped
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Allow patty shells to thaw 2 hours in refrigerator before rolling out.
- If the piece of beef is quite long, fold narrow end under to form a roast about 12 to 13 inches in length. Place on rack in shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt and flour.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven until meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 120 degrees F, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool meat sufficiently to handle, at least 20 minutes, undisturbed. The meat will re-absorb its juices.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, cook mushrooms in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add pate, Cognac and chives. process this mixture, quickly in a food processor to make a coarse paste.
- On lightly floured surface, arrange pastry in a rectangle, overlapping edges slightly; press edges to seal. (If necessary, moisten edges with a little water.)
- Roll out to a 16x11-inch rectangle.
- Place the pastry onto a buttered jelly-roll pan. Spread half the mushroom paste on to it, leaving about a 2-inch border all around.
- Place roast in the middle and spread the remaining mixture over the top of the meat..
- Lay pastry over roast, tucking under securely, and sealing any gaps. Brush pastry with mixture of egg yolk and water.
- Bake in in a 425 degrees F oven for 20 minutes more, or until pastry is golden.
- Allow to sit at least 10 minutes before serving.
Beets are very much underrated in America, but are most delicious. Combined with onions and a delici...
Ina Garten's recipe for Baba au Rhum brings pleasure to every sense of the body and delights with ev...
You can dislike cherries, or cherry pie, but you're going to love Black Cherry Ice Cream. Add dark c...
The simplicity, elegance and refinement of Lox and Bagels is trivial to the immense, sophisticated f...