Beef Stock is the basis for countless thousands of recipes from aspics to soups, meat pies and roasts. The flavor is amazing.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 1 pot
- 2 pounds beef bones
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch of thyme
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake bones until browned, about 1 hour.
- Place bones in large stock pot. Add remaining ingredients and enough water to cover. Bring to boil; boil about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat & strain.
- Discard bones and vegetables.
- Return the stock to pot and cook over medium heat until reduced by half.
- If making consomme, remove all grease from the top and follow instructions for Clarifying Cloudy Consommes.
- The stock should yield at least 2 Quarts.