Beef Stock I
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Stocks and Foundation Sauces
Serves: 2 Quarts
- 3 pounds beef shank, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 1 Tablespoon peppercorns
- 3 1/2 Quarts water
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, skimming foam as it rises to the top.
- Let cool slightly and strain. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and vegetables. Shred meat into small pieces and reserve.
- Refrigerate stock, overnight if possible, and remove hardened fat with a spoon.