Enough for 12 hearty portions, this potent, spicy Beef Goulash would make any Hungarian happy. Serve with buttered noodles on the side for an authentic meal. Great for a large family gathering or make it and freeze half for another day. Absolutely wonderful!
- 5 pounds large onions, peeled, sliced
- 1/3 Cup duck fat
- 4 1/2 pounds red peppers, seeded, sliced
- 1 Cup tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons sweet paprika, toasted
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika, toasted
- 6 Cups water
- 2 teaspoons garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 3 Tablespoons vinegar
- pinch lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons toasted caraway seeds, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons dry marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, finely chopped, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh marjoram, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 pounds beef cheeks, trimmed, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cornichon juice, to taste
- Caramelize onions in fat in large, heavy pot until dark brown, at least 3 hours on low heat.
- Steam peppers until soft; process in food mill or blender and strain to yield about 3/4 cup pepper juice. Add tomato paste to juice and cook until darkened, about 5 minutes.
- Add hot and sweet paprika to onions; stir, then add water, garlic, vinegar, lemon zest, red pepper juice mixture, caraway seeds, dry marjoram and half of fresh herbs; stir.
- Season beef cheeks with salt and pepper; add to onion mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 3 hours. After 21/2 hours, add remaining fresh herbs; meat is done when it falls easily from the fork. When done, remove cheeks from liquid and place on pan to cool.
- Sieve onion mixture through medium-hole colander to achieve chunky texture. Combine sieved sauce and cheeks; season to taste with salt, pepper and cornichon juice. Serve immediately.
Kir Royale Ice Cream is a unique and interesting recipe; an Epicurus original, tested again and agai...
Golden Christmas Cake is a simply made fruitcake, yet offers those who consume it such wonderful fla...
Sauteed Foie Gras aux Cerises is an exciting appetizer of incredible flavor. Perfect anytime of year...
Lebkuchen (Spice Bars) are fun-filled flavor fantasies of German origins. They're easy to make, and ...