Beef Casserole and Dumplings
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 kg braising beef
- 2 Tablespoons cornflour
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 25 g butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 125 g unsmoked streaky bacon, cut into strips
- 1 large carrot, cut into large dice
- 2 sticks celery, cut into large dice
- 12 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bottle full bodied red wine
- 225 g chestnut mushrooms, wiped
- 50 g buckwheat flour
- 50 g rice flour
- 75 g potato flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 g packed flat leaf parsley
- 75 g lard, grated
- 1. Preheat oven to 150?C, 300?F, gas mark 2
- Coat the beef in the cornflour and fry it in the oil and butter until lightly browned.
- Add the onion and bacon and fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Stir in the carrot, celery, sage, rosemary, garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the red wine and cover with a tight fitting lid. Transfer to the oven and simmer for 21/2 hours. Add the mushrooms and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- To Make the Dumplings
1. Mix all the flours and baking powder, seasoning and parsley in a bowl.
- Blend in the grated lard and add enough cold water to form a dough.
- Shape into 12 dumplings.
- Add these to the casserole and return to the oven for about 30 minutes or until light and fluffy.