Beef Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1/3 Cup bulgur
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 Cups onion(s), sliced (4 medium)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 Cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns split and toasted
- In a small bowl, combine the bulgur with 1/2 cup warm water; let stand for 30 min, or until the bulgur is tender and the water is absorbed.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add onions and sugar; saute until the onions are tender and dark golden, about 15 min. Stir in 1/4 cup water and vinegar. Season with salt and keep warm.
- Prepare the grill or preheat the broiler. In a medium bowl, combine the bulgur, beef, tomato paste, parsley, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Grill over high heat or broil on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 min per side. Blot the patties with paper towels. Place each patty on a bun, top with the caramelized onions and garnish with lettuce.