Beef Beer and Potato Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pates and Terrines
- 450 g (1 pound) braising steak, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 1/4 Cups (10 fl ounce) 300 ml strong beer, hot
- 150 ml (5 fl ounce) beef stock, hot
- 450 g (1 pound) new potatoes, left in their jackets or scraped
- 1 1/3 Cups (165 g) button mushrooms
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 225 g (8 ounce) potato puff pastry
- cold milk
- 1. Heat the oil and brown the cubed braising steak. Remove the steak but keep warm.
- Fry the sliced onion until lightly browned.
- Add the steak to the onion, pour over the hot beer and stock.
- Cook for about 45 minutes.
- Add the new potatoes, button mushrooms and parsley, season to taste and cook for a further 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
- When cold put the mixture in a pie dish, with a pie funnel placed in the centre.
- Cover with the pastry and cut the trimmings into suitable shapes for a garnish.
- Brush with cold milk and bake in the oven gas mark 4, 350?F (180?C) for 45 minutes.
Serve with a delicious tossed salad and a fine Merlot.