Warming you to the bones, this deeply flavorful soup is rich, comforting and thoroughly enjoyable. You should serve it with thickly sliced crusty bread for a perfect meal.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Cup carrots; sliced thin
- 1 Cup celery; sliced
- 1 medium onion; sliced thin
- 1/2 Cup green pepper; coarsely chopped
- 1/4 Cup parsley; snipped
- 4 Cups beef broth
- 1 can tomatoes; canned, cut up (16 ounces)
- 1 Cup spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 Cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons basil; dry and crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- Cut meat into 1" cubes.
- In a large skillet brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil. Drain well.
- Meanwhile in crockpot, combine carrots, celery, onion, green pepper, and parsley.
- Add broth, undrained tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, barley, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir in browned meat.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Skim off fat.
Banana-Pineapple Tropical Sorbet is sensual, seductive and evocative of a night on a moon-lit beach ...
Escarole and Beans Soup is one of Italy's best creations, and a remnant of Magna Grecia, the ancient...
Most popular at Christmas, but eaten at other times of the year, this exceptional bread is wonderful...
Boston Creme Trifle is an extraordinary dessert, combining the delights of cake, pudding and topping...