Beef and Barley Stew is one of those wonderful recipes that came out of Britain, and migrated to America with the original colonists. Truly comforting, it warms the soul with every spoonful.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds braising steak, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 7/8 pound onions, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 16.9 ounce bottle brown ale
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound carrots, sliced into thick chunks
- 1/4 pound pearl barley
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. (160 degrees C.) gas mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole over a moderate heat.
- Brown the beef in two batches on all sides until well browned, this takes about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a warm plate.
- Add the sliced onions and fry for 5 minutes or until the edges become browned.
- Return the beef to the casserole with the herbs and seasoning.
- Add the ale and bring up to the boil.
- Cover and cook in the center of the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the carrots and barley and cook for another hour.
Braised Leeks are an awesome and flavorful British side dish, with a direct Welsh connection. Simply...
Nonna LaRuffa's Pignolata's aromatic, crunchy nuggets melt in the mouth. This delectable dessert is ...
Jalapeño adds just the right kick to this flavorful potato salad, already enhanced horseradish, baco...
A Simple Watermelon Salad is a joy to behold with the rich colors of the Southwest. Queso Blanco, m...