Bea's Unstuffed Cabbage
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups
- 1 onion diced (1 Cup)
- 2 pounds head green cabbage, dice
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 28 ounces can peeled tomatoes and juice
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 Cups honey
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 1/3 Cups raisins
- 1 pound ground beef or veal or lamb
- 1/2 Cups raw white rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- ground pepper to taste
- NOTE: This has a long cooking time. It is a dish that is best prepared early in the day and reheated at serving time since the flavor improves. NOTE: This dish could easily feed a crowd if you have a pot or pots big enough to double or guadruple, etc. it.
- 1. In a large heavy pot combine all the soup ingredients except the raisins. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat while preparing the meatballs.
- Combine meatball ingredients, stirring them to mix thoroughly. With wet hands, roll the meat mixture in 1 1/4" balls. Add the meatballs to the boiling cabbage soup, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove the cover, add the raisins, and cook for another 30 minutes in the uncovered pot.
- We suggest that mashed potatoes would be an excellent accompaniment. Also, the dish goes well with broad egg noodles.