Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat is one of the great German dishes that should be a summertime staple in every home. Perfect for picnics and barbecues!
Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat (Bavarian Potato Salad)
This recipe is a classic, yielding a delicious side dish worthy of a great picnic or barbecue, clam bake or backyard dining.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 4 Cups potatoes; *
- 2 Cups chicken broth; **
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 Cup onion; chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- black pepper; as desired
- * Potatoes should be peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick.
** Chicken broth may be either home made or commercial.
- Boil potatoes in broth with 1/4 Tablespoons salt for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Drain.
- Toss warm potatoes with vegetable oil and onions.
- Dissolve remaining 1/4 Tablespoons salt and the sugar in lemon juice. Pour over potatoes.
- Marinate salad 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- Serve at room temperature.