Bavarian Pot Roast is a warming, soothing comfort food that embodies the taste of the season. Simply superb cooking from the mountains of Bavaria. Serve with cooked egg noodles or parslied potatoes.
- 6 pounds beef bottom round roast
- 2 Tablespoons cooking fat
- 1 1/2 Cups apple juice
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 Cup onion; chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 Cup flour; for gravy
- In a Dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan. Pour off fat drippings.
- Add the apple juice, tomato sauce, onion, ginger, cinnamon, salt, vinegar, and bay leaf; mix well.
- Return meat to pan. Cover and simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until done. (Or cook in a 325 degrees F oven for same amount of time.)
- Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout. When done, remove meat and keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- For 2 cups of gravy, pour liquid from pan into a 2-cup measuring cup. Let stand for 1 minute to allow fat to come to top. Discard all but 4 Tablespoons (or less) of fat. Add enough water (or other liquid) to measure 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Return to pan.
- In same cup, measure 1/2 cup cold water and blend in flour. Add mixture slowly to liquid in pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Taste gravy and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- Slice meat; serve gravy separately.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Tarts are simple, easy and utterly delightful pastries that are sure to pleas...
Easter Ham with Peach Glaze is a delectable way to serve an extraordinary meal for the holiday, with...
Chocolate Meringue Pie is one of our most luscious and seductive recipes, with romantic, alluring qu...
The taste of Olde and New England is evident in every bite of our tasty Pear, Cranberry and Horserad...