Bavarian Pot Roast is a warming, soothing comfort food that embodies the taste of the season. Simply superb cooking from the mountains of Bavaria. Serve with cooked egg noodles or parslied potatoes.
- 6 pounds beef bottom round roast
- 2 Tablespoons cooking fat
- 1 1/2 Cups apple juice
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 Cup onion; chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 Cup flour; for gravy
- In a Dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan. Pour off fat drippings.
- Add the apple juice, tomato sauce, onion, ginger, cinnamon, salt, vinegar, and bay leaf; mix well.
- Return meat to pan. Cover and simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until done. (Or cook in a 325 degrees F oven for same amount of time.)
- Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout. When done, remove meat and keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- For 2 cups of gravy, pour liquid from pan into a 2-cup measuring cup. Let stand for 1 minute to allow fat to come to top. Discard all but 4 Tablespoons (or less) of fat. Add enough water (or other liquid) to measure 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Return to pan.
- In same cup, measure 1/2 cup cold water and blend in flour. Add mixture slowly to liquid in pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Taste gravy and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- Slice meat; serve gravy separately.
A nice and spicy partner to pre-dinner drinks. Tangy Roast Pepper and Walnut Dip is great with some ...
The flavor of Commander's Palace Turtle Soup au Sherry is so extraordinary that it has become legend...
The delights of Chocolate-Dipped Hazelnut Biscotti are hard to match for their exceptional flavor. P...
Baked Alaska Strawberry Ice Cream Pie is a superb way to serve a mouthwatering, visually exciting de...