Bavarian Apple Torte is a simple and flavorful combination of cheesecake and apple pie with a subtle almond crunch. Wunderbar!
Bavarian Apple Torte
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup butter
- 1 Tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup flour
- 5 apples; Winesap, Gala or Golden Delicious
- 8 ounces cream cheese; at room temperature
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- cinnamon sugar
- 1/2 Cup sliced almonds
- Cream sugar, butter, shortening and vanilla.
- Blend in flour and pat into bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of greased 9 inch spring form pan.
- Place in 400 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
- Pare and slice apples to make 1 quart (4 cups).
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, egg, lemon peel, vanilla and salt until smooth. Pour over pastry.
- Top with apple slices, cinnamon sugar and nuts.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes.
From "A Flock of Good Recipes," Shepherd of the Bay Lutheran Church, Ellison Bay and Sister Bay (Door County), Wisconsin