Basmati Lemon Rice is a glorious side dish to accompany spicy dishes. The tangy flavor is balanced by the subtle taste of rice. Superb.
Basmati Lemon Rice
Urad dal is a form of black legume, commonly grown in India. Available in Asian and other specialty markets.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 8 to 10
- 1/2 Cup oil
- 4 small onions; chopped
- 4 cloves garlic; chopped
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 12 curry leaves (to 15)
- 4 teaspoons split unpeeled urad dal; soaked in water for 45 minutes
- 4 teaspoons golden raisins
- 4 Cups cooked Basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- salt; up to 2 teaspoons
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 Cup halved roasted cashews
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 8 green onions; finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup chopped cilantro; for garnish
- Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet or wok.
- Saute onions and garlic until soft, 2 minutes. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, urad dal and raisins and saute 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix rice, turmeric, salt, sugar and cashews, saving a few cashews for garnish.
- Spoon rice into skillet with onion mixture and heat through, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Garnish with reserved cashews, green onions and cilantro.
Serving size: each of 10 servings Calories: 252 Fat: 13 g Carbohydrates: 31 g Sodium: 32 mg Fiber: 0.38 g Protein: 3 g Cholesterol: 0 g