Different uses means unique variations in this aromatic sauce that also serves to spice up other sauces, gravies and foods.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Spice Mixes and Rubs
Serves: 1 Cup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion(s), diced about 1 Cup
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced about 1/2 Cup
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced about 1/2 Cup
- 4 garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced oregano
- 1 extra garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 Cup (to 1/3 Cup) chopped cilantro
- 1 minced jalapeno pepper or
- 1/2 minced Scotch Bonnet pepper
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup chopped tomatoes
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients. Continue cooking slowly for about 15 minutes.
- Sofrito for Meat and Chicken: Substitute 1/4 Cup diced slab bacon plus 1 Tablespoon oil for the oil in the basic recipe. Add 1 Tablespoon tomato paste, Cup chopped tomatoes, and 1/3 Cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives (optional).
- Sofrito for Fish: Begin with the basic recipe but omit the red bell pepper, use 1 Cup diced green bell pepper, and add Cup chopped parsley, chopped cilantro, or a mixture of the two.
- Sofrito to Use in Bean Dishes: Add Cup diced slab bacon or 1/3 Cup ground or diced baked to the basic recipe. When making black beans, simply use the basic sofrito without any meat.