Basic Fish Stock
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Stocks and Foundation Sauces
- 4 Quarts water
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 4 pounds fish trimmings
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 onion peeled, halved
- 2 stalks celery, halved
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 6 peppercorns
- BRING THE WATER AND WINE to a boil over high heat. Wash all the fish trimmings. Add the fish trimmings, lemon juice, onion, celery, parsley, thyme and peppercorns to the pot.
- When the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat so that it is barely simmering, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain the stock, extracting as much liquid as possible from the solids. Discard the solids, and allow the stock to reach room temperature before refrigerating or freezing.
- Makes 3 qts.
- The stock can be refrigerated up to four days, or frozen for up to six months.