The subtle flavors of Barley Pilaf with Peas makes this dish a wonderful accompaniment for strongly flavored meats and stews.
Barley Pilaf with Peas
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 8 1/2-cup servings
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 14 1/2 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 Cups water
- 2/3 Cup medium Quaker barley*
- 1 Tablespoon lite soy sauce (optional)
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- In medium saucepan, cook onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender.
- Add chicken broth, water, barley and soy sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 35 minutes; add peas. Continue simmering 10 to 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.
*NOTE: To use Quick QUAKER Barley, substitute 1 cup quick barley for medium barley and decrease water to 1 cup. Cook onion and garlic as directed above. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 15 to 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.