For a rich, tasty start to your meal, try our delicious Barley and Mushroom Soup.
Barley and Mushroom Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 servings
- 3 ounces (75 g) pearl barley
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 leek
- 1 onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 1/2 ounces (40 g) dried mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 2 ounces (50 g) butter
- 1/4 pint (150 ml) light cream
- Wash barley, then cook in lightly salted, boiling water for 2 1/2 hours till very soft and gelatinous.
- Meanwhile, scrape and chop carrots. Wash and slice celery and leek. Peel and quarter onion. Put all vegetables into a saucepan with bay leaves, salt, peppercorns, parsley, mushrooms and 9 fluid ounces (250ml) water. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Strain stock into a bowl. Reserve mushrooms and discard remaining vegetables. Slice mushrooms and return to pan with strained stock.
- Drain barley and crush with a potato masher, or partly liquidize in a blender. Add barley and vinegar to stock, heat through and season.
- Cut butter into small pieces and put in bottom of a warmed soup tureen. Pour in soup, stir in cream and serve.
Freezing Suitable: add butter and cream after reheating