Barbecued Chili Pot Roast
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 5 pounds beef round heel of round
- 2 Tablespoons cooking fat
- 1 Cup onion; chopped
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 small green pepper; chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder; or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. In a Dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan. Pour off fat drippings.
- Cook onions in drippings remaining in pan until soft but not browned; stir often. 3. Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Return meat to pan. Cover and simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until done. (Or cook in a 325F oven for same amount of time.) Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout.
- Remove meat to a platter and keep warm. Skim off excess fat. If sauce needs only a little thickening, simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes.
- Taste sauce and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- Slice meat and serve with sauce.