Banana, Pineapple and Mincemeat Strudel with Chocolate Rum Sauce is quite a mouthful to say, and to taste. An amazing dessert of the finest quality.
Banana, Pineapple and Mincemeat Strudel with Chocolate Rum Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1 strudel
- 4 bananas
- 1/2 medium fresh ripe pineapple
- 4 Tablespoons mincemeat; (preferably home-made)
- 1 ounce flaked almonds
- 1 ounce brown sugar
- 1 squeeze fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 ounces unsalted butter; melted
- 1/2 fluid ounces dark rum
- 12 sheets fresh phyllo pastry
Chocolate Rum Sauce:
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 4 ounces dark bitter chocolate
- 7 fluid ounces double cream
- 2 fluid ounces rum
- 6 ounces icing sugar
- Peel and core the pineapple and cut into small cubes. Put into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar. Brown the flaked almonds and either spread out on a tray under the grill or heat in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes until golden.
- Peel and slice the bananas and squeeze the lemon juice over the banana slices. Turn them around in it to prevent discoloration and freshen the flavor.
- Add the bananas, almonds, mincemeat and rum to the pineapple in the mixing bowl and stir well. Check the flavor and add a little more lemon juice if needed.
- Brush 6 sheets of phyllo with the melted butter and arrange overlapping each other on the work surface - 3 sheets across and 2 sheets deep. Repeat with the second 6 sheets and lay on top, making a double thickness rectangle.
- Put the fruit mixture on the side nearest to you 1 inch from each edge and 2 inches from the bottom. Fold the two sides over the filling and roll up the phyllo from the side nearest to you to form a cylinder which totally encases the fruit.
- Brush with the remaining butter and dredge with icing sugar. Lift carefully on to a flat baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F (200c/gas 6) for 15 to 20 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Trim of the ends, cut into diagonal slices and serve hot.
- For the sauce, place the butter, chocolate and cream together in a double boiler or a bowl over a pan of warm water. Heat until melted. Add the rum, sieve the icing sugar and gradually beat into the sauce.
- Remove from the heat, taste and add more rum if necessary. The sauce will be dark and glossy.
- Serve warm.
Per serving: Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 11 1/2 Fruit; 7 1/2 Fat; 13 Other Carbohydrates
Serving size: 1 Calories: 1902 Fat: 40 g Carbohydrates: 374 g Sodium: 128 mg Protein: 7 g Cholesterol: 93 mg