Banana ketchup is intensely flavorful and interesting. Served along with grilled meats like pork or chicken or with fish, it causes a great number of compliments to the cook.
- 1/2 Cup golden raisins
- 1/3 Cup coarsely chopped onions
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/3 Cup tomato paste
- 1 1/3 Cups cider vinegar
- 4 large very ripe bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 to 4 cups water
- 1/2 Cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 Tablespoons dark rum
- Combine the raisins, onions, garlic, tomato paste and 1/3 cup vinegar in the container of a food processor., Process the mixture until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large, heavy saucepan.
- Add the banana chunks and another 1/3 cup vinegar to the food processor container. Process the mixture until smooth. Transfer the banana mixture to the saucepan. Add the remaining 2/3 cup vinegar, 3 cups water, brown sugar, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Bring the mixture in the saucepan to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and cook the ketchup, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/4 hours. If the ketchup threatens to stick to the bottom of the pan at any point, add some of the remaining water, up to 1 cup.
- Add the corn syrup, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and cloves to the ketchup. Cook the ketchup over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes longer, or until it is thick enough to coat a metal spoon. Stir in the rum. Remove the ketchup from the heat and let it cool a few minutes.
- Force the ketchup through a fine sieve to strain it, pressing down hard on the solids. Remove the ketchup from the heat and let it cool to room temperature. Store the banana ketchup, covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
An historic recipe dating back to medieval Wales, Chicken and Leek Pie offers incredible, comforting...
Chilled Carrot Soup is a cooling, refreshing treat for summertime. The sweet flavor is rich in vitam...
You'll simply adore the simple delights of Smoked Salmon Rice Salad with Apple Vinaigrette. Light, r...
The intensity of coffee flavoring is subdued graciously in this wonderful sauce that makes the perfe...