Baked Lobster Savannah
Author: Locke-Ober, Boston, MA
Recipe type: Seafood
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 Cups mushrooms; sliced
- 1 Cup bell peppers; diced
- 1 Tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 1 1/2 Cups Sherry
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash black pepper, to taste
- 4 Cups Locke-Ober Cream Sauce; see Recipe
- 1/2 Cup pimientos; diced
- 4 3-pound whole lobsters; boiled and cooled
- 4 teaspoons Parmesan cheese; grated
STEP ONE: The Sauce
- Heat butter to melting point in a large saucepan, add mushrooms and green pepper. Cook until tender. Add paprika and stir in sherry. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Salt and pepper to taste; add cream sauce (see included recipe in this cookbook) and pimientos and blend well. Bring to a simmer.
STEP TWO: The Lobster
- ]This can be done while vegetables are cooking. Remove claws and knuckles from lobster. Hold lobster with its top side up. With kitchen shears, cut an oval opening in top of shell from tip of tail to base of head. Remove meat from body, claws, and knuckles. Cut in a large dice.
- Discard intestinal vein and stomach?a hard sac near the head?before dicing.
- Add meat to sauce and simmer slowly for 10 minutes. Divide mixture evenly and spoon back into lobster shell. Dust with grated Parmesan cheese and brown in a 375-degree oven for 15 minutes. Serve.
NOTES : If you are using lobsters smaller than three pounds each, you will need enough smaller lobsters to produce a total of about 8 cups of meat after boiling and cooling.